Please prepare the following before creating a comic for Kindle.
· To create a comic for Kindle, a CLIP STUDIO PAINT works document for one book (.cmc format) is required.
· Please prepare the appropriate data beforehand with reference to this guide and following articles.
· Please update CLIP STUDIO PAINT to the latest version for best use.
● This article explains the procedure for Windows. For Mac, you can export the file in kindle format according to the following article: "Guide to exporting EPUB Data (For E-Books)."
 Creating CLIP STUDIO PAINT data for one book
This lesson will explain the process of creating a new work document for one book, when intending to make comics for Kindle.
[POINT] Pages etc. needed for publication
When creating a document for one book, please consider the following elements with regards to books in general, to create the document smoothly.
· Expression colors of cover and body of the book (example: cover=color, text=monochrome)
· Manuscript “paper” size
· Number of pages
· Presence of an opening page, a table of contents, colophon etc.
When exporting in Kindle format, the following settings are important to consider to not cause inconveniences to the reader when browsing.
· All tone layers are output in gray
Since comics for Kindle are considered e-books, there are no clear rules about page composition, unlike for paper books.
However, it is recommended to consider the following with regards to usage and display at the time of browsing.
· Using even page numbers in case pages are viewed as double-page spreads
· Using settings that can be shared if the same data is going to be used for a fanzine as well
① Create a new file from the [File] menu of CLIP STUDIO PAINT.
In the [New] dialog box, adjust the settings of the manuscript, the number of pages, the folio settings, and so on.
② Make sure to create the manuscript with the advice and directions described in the following “Basics of manga manuscript production” in mind.
 Select a document for export
① When a work is finished, start CLIP STUDIO. Click “Publishing comics for Amazon Kindle” in the menu on the left.
② Click [Select a document to export in Kindle format]. Select the document you want to export from the displayed list of available works.
③ Click [Exporting in Kindle format].
During the software’s launch, a dialog box will be displayed and CLIP STUDIO PAINT will start.
 Confirming the export
① After inputting the document information in the CLIP STUDIO PAINT [Export in Kindle format] dialog box, click [OK] to execute.
* If changing the information in [Advanced Settings] is not necessary, please use them as is.
For detailed information, please refer to the Instruction Manual.
② When the export is complete, a status dialog box will be displayed. Click one of the buttons to access the official KDP website, or check the outputted data.
[POINT] Export settings for Kindle format
Kindle format data is initially exported with the following settings.
· Output size: 1600× 2560
· Quality: 8
· Do not make tones gray ： OFF
You can change the settings via CLIP STUDIO PAINT's [File] menu → [Export multiple pages...] → [Export settings for Kindle format].
· Regarding the “Do not make tone gray” option
In Kindle format, all tone layers are output in gray.
This is to prevent moiré from occurring with tones such as halftone dots etc. due to different display sizes resulting from different device sizes or zooming in and out.
If you want to preserve a specific tone as it is, duplicate the tone layer and export the document after rasterizing it (we recommend to always leave the original tone layer).
 Check the output data
It is possible to check output data from within CLIP STUDIO.
① Click on [Manage works] at the top and select [Kindle Format] from the tag to display the previously exported document. Double click on the displayed document.
② Click [Export in Kindle format] in the displayed [Managing works] screen.
③ Open the output destination folder for export data (mobi format).
For more convenience when uploading to the official KDP page, we recommend copying exported documents to an easy-to-find location, such as the desktop.
[POINT] Previewing documents
We recommend you preview your exported data before publishing it.
To do that, the installation of the “Kindle preview tool” is necessary.
If images or text are broken, the image quality is low, or the overall display is unclean within the pages’ preview, there may be an error in the settings, or possibly a mistake in the production method of the manuscript.
Please refer to the notes and advice in “Basics of manga manuscript production” and check the manuscript again.
■ In case previews are unavailable
If the Kindle preview tool is installed, but you get an error message, indicating that the Kindle preview tool can not be run, please try reinstalling the Kindle preview tool.
In case the situation does not improve, please contact our support.
 Uploading exported data
Please access the upload page of KDP, enter the necessary information as described on the screen, and upload the exported document.
 Other output methods
■ Exporting from CLIP STUDIO “Works List”
Double click on the documents displayed by clicking [Works] at the top of CLIP STUDIO.
The [Managing works] screen will be displayed. Click on [Exporting in Kindle format] and display the [Publishing comics for Amazon Kindle] screen. * The procedure after that is the same as  “Executing the output” in this guide.
■ Exporting from CLIP STUDIO PAINT
Open the document you want to export with CLIP STUDIO PAINT, click the [File] menu → [Export Multiple Pages...] → [Export in Kindle format].
* The following procedures will be the same as this guide’s  “Executing the output”.
* Amazon, Kindle, Kindle Direct Publishing, and the Kindle Direct Publishing logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.