Preparing layers
I prepare layers to draw line work easily.
1. I select the new draft layer, and merge it with the rough draft under it by right-clicking and choosing [Merge with layer below].
I make a layer folder named “Rough” and put the merged “Rough” layer inside.
I also make a “white background” layer under the “Rough” layer, and fill it with white using the [Fill] tool .
2. I lower the “Rough” layer’s transparency to make drawing easier. Above the “Line art” folder, I make a new folder called “Details”.
 Line art
I use the [G-pen] for line art.
As I leave the outlines in my finished drawings, I keep redrawing sections until I’m happy with the results. Line drawing is basically repeating these steps.
Each separate part is drawn on a separate layer.
I usually start from the faces.
When drawing, I check the line art’s balance by hiding the rough sketch and flipping the canvas horizontally.
For longer lines, I rotate the canvas so that I can draw lines vertically with strength to swing down.
For detailed parts, I sometimes draw the outline and add details with a thinner pen later.
 Painting hair
I wanted to make the hair black, so I inked it in at this point. I use a “Reference layer” when filling.
1. I draw the outline with the [G-pen].
2. I select the “Line art” folder and then [Set as Reference Layer] to set the entire folder as a reference layer.
3. I select the “Hair” layer to add black.
4. Using [Auto select] →[Selection for referred layers], I select the sections I want to paint, and then fill them using “Fill” in the selection launcher.
For details on reference layers, refer to the TIPS below.
I then add some more strands of hair using the [G pen] and [Darker pencil] with starting and ending effects.
I paint the other black parts of the main character, rabbits, and plants in the same way.
 Using the figure tool
For the straight sections, I used the [Figure] →[Direct draw] →[Straight line].
For the circular sections, I used [Figure] →[Direct draw] →[Ellipse].
I did not draw the items that didn’t quite fit such as the necklace.
On the contrary, I made a few additions that were not in the rough.
Now the line art is finished.
The “Coloring” layer looks like this now. Layers are divided into characters and background objects.