Hello everyone, I am Guangyu, and today I will bring you a complete explanation of the layer mask and other similar functions.
Why use a mask?
There are two main reasons for using masks: non-destructive editing, and saving time.
Non-destructive editing (such as adjusting layers, trimming masks, masks, etc.) does not directly modify the dot matrix data, and there will be a relatively large fault tolerance in the adjustment.
Destructive editing (such as brushes, erasers, filters, etc.) will directly modify the bitmap data on the layer, which is less likely to be restored after multiple operations, and requires extra care.
Making good use of non-destructive editing can allow the painter to have more room for adjustment in the later stage, and make the completion of the painting to a higher level!
The mask only needs to be processed once, and you can lock the specified range without having to deal with the problem of color overflow and re-trimming every time you modify the layer, so you can save a lot of time.
Layer masks can be thought of as a protective layer on the paper to cover the spilled parts.
The icon in the layer area is a black cardboard with a white hole.
There are no preset shortcuts for this function. You can find related functions in Layer > Layer Mask in the File > Settings shortcut.
The basic concept of a layer mask is that white is the area that is unmasked (visible), and black is the area that is masked (invisible).
To use a layer mask, you first need to have a selected area. You can use the selection tool, magic wand or quick mask to achieve this effect.
When creating a layer mask, you have two options:
1. Make a mask outside the selection range: Cover the area outside the selected range (the selection range will be displayed).
2. Make a mask in the selection range: Cover the selected range (the selection range will be obscured).
After creating a layer mask, select and right-click the layer mask to see the following features:
1. Delete the mask: If it is the name, delete the mask.
2. Apply a mask on the layer: Combine the mask with the layer and it is a destructive editor.
3. Make the mask valid: It can be used to open/close the mask, which is suitable for comparing the difference before and after the mask is used. The preset is on.
4. Display mask range: Shows which areas are masked and will be displayed in blue. It is suitable for checking whether the mask range is missing or mis-masked. The preset is off.
5. Connect the mask on the layer: If you move the layer under the open condition, the position of the mask will also change, the default is on.
Use Ctrl and click on the mask layer to fully select the mask's unmasked (white) range, just as the layer operates.
You can use gray in the layer mask to achieve transparency gradient effects, using a transparency brush or eraser.
Combining folders with layer masks is a great combination because you can mask many layers at once, or you can add additional folders to your folders to create multi-level regional subdivisions.
Cutting a opacity is also a popular masking method. The principle is to add a mask for the mask below and use the crop opacity layer above. The layer affected by the crop opacity (above) will be limited. Within the range of the mask layer (below).
The illustration of the trim mask is two overlapping circles, which are virtual.
Unlike layer masks, the content of the mask layer (below) is displayed (because it is not the selection area, but the actual layer), and the transparency and display of the mask layer (below) also affects The masked layer (above) is usually suitable for use in online drafts, upper shadows, etc.
Quick mask and storage selection range
Quick masks make the selection area editable with brushes, erasers, fill tools, etc. This tool can come in handy when there are many pieces of blank space to be selected for the object to be selected, without the need for Rely on the selection tool or magic wand, the color is red.
It should be noted that the quick mask is temporary, and the selection range will disappear when the selection range is removed (Ctrl+D can deselect the range).
When you want to re-use the selection area later, use the function of saving the selection range to save it. When successful, a new layer will be created with the color green.
You can restore the storage selection to the selected area by restoring the selection from the storage. Of course, it is also possible to use Ctrl+click on the layer (green).
Locking transparent primitives
This feature locks the transparent portion of a single layer. It is simple and fast, suitable for initial color change, partial color mixing techniques, simple object drawing, and more.
It should be noted that the behavior of directly modifying the layer after locking the transparent element is destructive editing. Please be careful when using it.
Drawing teaching girl
Finally, attach the process film and step decomposition of creating this sample image, I hope you will like it!
1. Use 3D dolls to grab approximate angles and poses
2. Use the doll to draw the line draft (it is recommended to make a simple draft first), be careful not to draw the hair into straw, it is recommended to use the sheet treatment.
3. Create two layers of folders, all using layer mask processing
The outermost folder range is the entire character, used to handle future overall overlay effects (such as shadows)
The inner layer is subdivided according to the material (only skin, hair and clothing are processed in the figure)
After that, add the new layer to each folder and fill the background directly with the fill tool (the mask will automatically mask the excess)
4. Add a simple layer of shadow to roughly establish the direction of light
You can use a color enhancement layer to achieve this effect.
The shadow layer is placed directly in the outer folder, just above the inner folder.
5. Add details and some subtle color changes to make the picture more colorful
6. Weaken the black line, here using the trim mask (there is no abstract line at the intersection of objects in reality)
7. Enhance the overall light perception, further eliminating the presence of the line, because the hair is exposed to direct light, it will produce high light
8. Add adjustment layer and increase contrast and reduce brightness. This layer is also placed in the outer folder.
Then it's finished!
The above is my teaching this time, I hope to help you!
If you like my things or have any questions to ask, please come to Deviantart to find me!